3.14.2014

Playing with Color Combos and Watercolors

Hi, everyone!  Happy, happy Friday!  I hope everyone had a good week and is ready for the weekend.  We have some St. Pat's festivities planned for tomorrow and I am so excited about them!
 
So...obviously I love using a ton of color in my scrap projects.  I love, LOVE color...so much so that sometimes I think I use a bit too much.  Looking back on some of my layouts, they can be quite busy at times because of all the crazy brightness I have going on.  When I saw that Lisa Truesdell was teaching a color class at Studio Calico, I immediately signed up.
 
In the class we have been learning how to select color combos and I have already gotten so much out of it.  I even created two projects for "practice".  The first one uses an analogous color scheme.  That means that the colors are next to each other on a color wheel (seriously, don't I sound all color-smart now?!).

The second one was created from an inspiration piece that we picked out ourselves.  We were supposed to create a kit from the piece we selected.  Here's my inspiration piece and kit:
 
Here's my layout:
 
Also, you may have noticed that I played around with watercolors on these layouts.  I've never really used watercolors before and I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.  They were way too much fun.  Stephanie Bryan posted a video in the class that showed the technique of painting watercolors on wet paper and creating drips...I loved the effect...obviously.  I have a feeling this will become one of my go-to techniques.
 
Thanks for dropping by!
 
Layout 1: Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Studio Calico, Cosmo Cricket; Chipboard Stars, Yellow Enamel Dots, Bling Stars, Wooden Letters, Die Cuts, Cut File, Mist, Vellum Label: Studio Calico; Banner: Heidi Swapp; Green Enamel Dots: My Mind's Eye; Staples: Tim Holtz; Alphas: American Crafts; Paper Label: Kaitlin Sheaffer; Journaling Card: Becky Higgins
 
Layout 2: Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper, Tag: American Crafts; Alphas: American Crafts, Basic Grey; Twine: Jillibean Soup; Chipboard Star, Doilies, Typed Words, Star Stickers: Studio Calico; Paper Label: Hello Forever for Studio Calico; Script Sticker: Heidi Swapp; Enamel Dot: Basic Grey

1 comment:

Luckie said...

This is beautiful Kat!